Family Giving Partnership
Anytime is an important time for Girl Scout families to support Girl Scouts of Northern California.
It costs about $300/year per girl to deliver Girl Scouts to girls in volunteer-led troops in Northern California. These dollars help our council support Girl Scout experiences, including maintaining camp properties, training new and experienced volunteers, developing online tools, conducting background screening for adults working with girls, and operating retail shops and program centers. We raise about $240 of this cost through program fees, camp fees, property rentals and product sales. The remaining $60 per girl requires fund raising - and that is why the Family Partnership campaign is so important.
If you are a troop leader or service unit volunteer, here are some ways that you can promote our Family Giving Partnership to parents:
- Family Giving Partnership Brochure
- We have a brand-new brochure that you can give to parents and others as you are talking about the importance of Family Giving! It's printed in English on one side and Spanish on the other, and it comes with a tear-off donation card and an official Girl Scouts NorCal Membership Card! To request copies of this brochure, please contact Stephanie Chew, senior director of gifts and campaigns, at schew@GirlScoutsNorCal.org, (510) 562-8470 ext. 1502.
- Download the Family Giving Brochure PDF in English.
- Family Giving Brochure PDF en Español.
- Family Giving Talking Points: Tell your Girl Scout families and friends how their support is needed for our girls.
- "Your Girl" Video: Available for download or to share online from YouTube, o en Español!
- Ideas for Family Giving Campaigns: Look at these best practices for successful family giving ideas.
- Sample Parent Letter: Send this ready-to-use letter template by email or regular mail - just add your signature!
- Wanted: Family Giving Champions! Click here for Family Giving Champion Job Description.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I become a Family Giving Partner?
A: Becoming a Family Giving Partner is easy! With online registration, families can click on a "Make a Contribution" button and enter their credit card data to donate $12, $44, $60, $100, $250 or $500. Service Units and Troop leaders also will provide donation envelopes for families who prefer to donate by check. Thank you, in advance, for your support of Girl Scouts of Northern California, and for helping us help your Girl Scout enjoy her Girl Scout experience.
Q: Aren't my $12 annual membership dues enough?
A: Actually, no, because 100% of the annual $12 dues payment supports our national organization, Girl Scouts of the USA, funding GSUSA's national program development, operations and insurance for Girl Scout activities. Family Partnership donations to Girl Scouts of Northern California provide important support for Girl Scouts in your community.
Q: How much do we need to raise through the Family Giving Partnership?
A: During 2009, Girl Scouts of Northern California raised $330,000 through our Family Partnership campaign to support local program, adult development, operations, properties and opportunity funds for Northern California girls who otherwise could not afford to participate in Girl Scouts. This year our goal is to raise $400,000 through the Family Campaign. Our goal is to keep Girl Scouts fun, safe and affordable for all girls.
Q: What other ways can I participate in the Family Campaign?
A: We have many ways you can help:
- Monthly / quarterly gifts via our secure web site (set it up once, you choose a schedule, and it makes giving easy!)
- Workplace campaigns (payroll deductions via work, United Way, CFC, or other campaign managers)
- Matching gifts (to match your own donation)
- Matching volunteer hours (an employer gift to match your time)
- Online gift via our membership renewal site, powered by Personify
- Stock gifts (contact Stephanie Chew, senior director of gifts and campaigns, at schew@GirlScoutsNorCal.org, (510) 562-8470 ext. 1502, for more info)
- Troop gift (girls can choose to designate a portion of their troop treasury)
Q: Are there other programs to designate my donation?
A: Yes! Check our online donation page and see the drop-down menu for a current list of “open” funds. Many of these are restricted and cannot count for “Family Partnership” credit locally since the Family Campaign is unrestricted support to be used immediately and where needed most.
Gifts are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult your tax advisor as individual situations vary.