Safety Activity Checkpoints
- About Service Units
- Activity Finder
- Adult Learning (training)
- Adult Recognition
- Become a Volunteer
- Event Insurance
- Girl Scouts Thrive!
- Leader Resources
- Online Registration FAQ
- Operation Relaxation
- Recruitment Materials
- Safety Activity Checkpoints
- Start a Troop
- Volunteer Screening
- Who to Contact
Girl Scout Safety Guidelines This general document applies to every activity. Read this document, and then choose the Safety Activity Checkpoint below that most follows your particular activity(ies).
Safety-Wise will not be reprinted and will be discontinued. Although it is still a very useful publication and can be used for preliminary safety planning, these Safety Activity Checkpoints should be consulted for every activity girls participate in.
Warning: The following activities are never allowed for any girl:
- Flying in noncommercial aircraft, such as small private planes, helicopters, sailplanes, untethered hot-air balloons, or blimps
- Hang gliding, parachuting, or parasailing
- Shooting a projectile at another person (such as paintball)
- Potentially uncontrolled free-falling (bungee jumping, hang gliding, parachuting, parasailing, and on trampolines).
- Exception: If girls would like to trampoline at an indoor facility where the trampolines are completely enclosed and go all the way to the edge of the room with no exposed springs (i.e. there is no possibility that girls could fall off of the trampoline), this activity can be approved if the vendor is on the approved vendor list.
- Creating extreme variations of approved activities (such as high-altitude climbing and aerial tricks on bicycles, skis, snowboards, skateboards, water skis, and wakeboards)
- Riding all-terrain vehicles and motor bikes
- Taking watercraft trips in Class V or higher whitewater
NEW - Safety Activity Checkpoints Revised 2013
GSUSA has updated every Safety Activity Checkpoint to include the latest first aid requirements (found under Prepare for Emergencies)along with a few additional updates.
Click here to see what additional changes occurred with your favorite Checkpoint. Please note that the file name for each Safety Activity Checkpoint references 2010 but the file reflects the most current release.
All Safety Activity Checkpoints This document contains all Safety Activity Checkpoints in one handy document. This document is large because it contains photos for all activities. (14 MB)
All Safety Activity Checkpoints - Text Only This documents contains all Safety Activity Checkpoints in one handy document, but is a smaller file since it does not include photos. (1 MB)
Alphabetical Listing of Individual Safety Activity Checkpoints:
Note that the pages may be slow to load and sometimes come up with an error message. If you get an error message, please try again.
Arts & Crafts
Camping- Trip/Travel NEW!
Climbing or Rappelling
Computer or Online Activities (see also STEM depending on your activity)
Cookie or Product Sales Activities
Crafts - See Arts and Crafts
Cross Country Skiing
Downhill Skiing or Snowboarding
In-Line or Roller Skating
Math Activities (see STEM)
Other Land Sports
Parades or Other Large Gatherings
Rafting (see Whitewater Rafting)
Science Activities (see STEM)
Skiing - See Cross Country, Downhill OR Waterskiing
Sledding or Tobagganing
Snow Tubing (See Sledding or Tobagganing)
STEM (Science, Math or Technology) (see also Computer, depending on yoru activity)
Trip & Travel NEW!
Wading (see Swimming if water will be over the knees)
Waterskiing or Wakeboarding