Often facilities and vendors will request a Certificate of Insurance (COI) from GSNorCal when a troop has a meeting at a site or hosts a cookie booth in front of a business. This is a standard practice and is commonly requested in a contract. Likewise, when planning events on behalf of GSNorCal (for example, day camps, service unit events, high-adventure activities with vendors, etc.), COIs are often needed to verify that an organization or location meets Girl Scouts’ insurance standards.
What is a Certificate of Insurance (COI)?
A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is a document verifying that a business, individual or organization holds a current $1 million liability insurance policy. A valid Certificate of Insurance includes:
- $1,000,000 limit minimum (may be higher depending on number of people and activity)
- Insurance carrier rated "A" or better by an insurance rating firm such as A.M. Best
- Scheduled event falls within policy period shown
How to Request a Copy of Girl Scouts of Northern California’s Certificate of Insurance (COI)
- If the organization requests a COI from GSNorCal, fill out our online Certificate of Insurance Request Form.
- A COI will be processed within 2-5 business days of receiving the request.
- The completed COI will be emailed to the organization and/or volunteer making the request.
- If the organization is used annually, please select this option. This means that every year on Jan. 1, our insurance company will automatically reissue and mail the COI to the organization.
How to Request a Certificate of Insurance (COI) from a Facility/Vendor
- Determine if you need a COI for the vendor and/or location you are using by reviewing the criteria below for when the council requires a COI:
- Click here to see if we already have a Certificate of Insurance on file for a high-adventure vendor or charter bus company.
- If we do, an additional copy is not required. If they are not listed, contact the organization and request a COI based on the requirements listed under the High-Adventure Approved Vendor Process.
Contact Insurance@GirlScoutsNorCal.org for assistance.