Nav Arrow


CMS Tray

Volunteer and Girl

You Are Here : Home : FOR VOLUNTEERS : Additional Event and Trip Insurance

All Girl Scout members are automatically covered with the Girl Scout Activity Accident Insurance for the entire year, however certain activities require additional insurance.

Do you need additional insurance for your event or trip?

Yes   No1. Are all participants registered Girl Scouts (both children and adults)?
Yes   No2. Does the event last more then two consecutive nights?
Yes   No3. Will you be traveling outside of California?
Yes   No4. Will you be traveling outside of the United States?
Yes   No5. Does every participant have personal or family insurance? If you are unsure, is this a group whose size would make it likely that a participant may not have personal or family insurance?
Yes   No6. Are you hosting Girl Scouts or Girl Guides from another country who may not be insured while they’re here?

Not sure which plan to order?

PLAN 2 is the most commonly used plan, however you can click here for a detailed Comparison Chart of Girl Scout Insurance Plans

Important Information about Ordering Insurance

  • Optional insurance plans MUST be purchased 2 weeks in advance of the activity. If you make a late request to the council, you will be asked to prepare the enrollment form and forward it with your check to the Insurance Specialist at in time for verification, signature and mailing.

  • Only the Troop Leader or other registered adult in charge may order insurance.

  • Requests for insurance MAY NOT be transmitted directly to Mutual of Omaha. The appropriate form must be downloaded from their website, completed, and forwarded (with payment by check or money order) to the council office for approval (see Steps for Purchasing Insurance).

  • Additional Event/Trip Insurance is secondary insurance. The insured party’s family insurance plan is primary. Mutual of Omaha pays the first $130 of an approved claim, and will continue (after the family insurance plan has reached its coverage limit) up to a total of $15,000 for each claim.

Steps for Purchasing Additional Event/Trip Insurance:

  1. Determine which plan(s) you need for your event. Click here to view a comparison chart of plans. Please call or email the Risk Management and Travel Assistant with questions, (510) 562-8470 x 1108 or
  2. Download the most current Enrollment Form. 
    1. Select the desired enrollment plan (Plan 2, Plan 3E, Plan 3P,  and Plan 3PI ). 
    2. Print the form. (If you are unable to print out a form, you may get a supply of printed forms from the Risk Management and Travel Assistant, email
  3. Complete the Enrollment Form(type or print legibly)

    Enter the mailing address at top of form, which is

    Girl Scouts of Northern California
    1650 Harbor Bay Parkway, Suite 100
    Alameda, CA 94502
    1. Enter our Council Number, which is 636
    2. Enter YOUR name and telephone number as person preparing form.
    3. Include the name of the event and the city in the “Name/Location of Event” column
    4. Total ALL columns (use dollar signs on all money amounts)
    5. Do NOT date enrollment forms (council will sign and date after verification)
    6. Attach your check for total payment to the form. Make checks payable to United of Omaha Life Insurance Company.

      Please Note: The minimum purchase for insurance is $5.00. Therefore, if the total cost of your insurance is under $5.00, a check for no less than $5.00 must be included.
  4. Forward completed Enrollment Form WITH your check to council:
Risk Management and Travel Assistant
Girl Scouts of Northern California
1650 Harbor Bay Parkway, Suite 100
Alameda, CA 94502

Send the form as soon as possible before the first day of the event to allow time for verification, signature and mailing. The form and check must be in the insurance company’s office at least 24 hours in advance of the event. Please Note: If a form is incomplete or inaccurate, or if a check is in the wrong amount or under $5.00, they will be returned to you and not processed.

For more information

More information about insurance is available by calling the Risk Management and Travel Assistant at (510) 562-8470 x 1108 or emailing

Instructions for Submitting Insurance Claims

(All Plans)

As with ordering insurance, you may NOT submit the claim directly to the insurance company.

Steps for Filing a Claim:

  1. Print out the claim form. Go to the Mutual of Omaha website:
    1. Click on "How to file a Claim and Claim Forms"
    2. Scroll down the page and click on “Claim Forms” (Print out all 3 pages and staple together)
  2. Complete the form in full and sign wherever appropriate. Do not complete the very bottom section (for council use only)
  3. Send the claim form to the Risk Management and Travel Assistant at the council office for validation, along with any bills received at the time.
    Risk Management and Travel Assistant
    Girl Scouts of Northern California
    1650 Harbor Bay Parkway, Suite 100
    Alameda, CA 94502
  4. Council will complete the council section, sign and mail to the insurance company.
  5. Send any subsequent bills related to this claim to the Risk Management and Travel Assistant at the council office.

If you prefer to receive hard copies of claim forms, please contact the Risk Management and Travel Assistant (510) 562-8470 ext. 1108 or


Your coverage is secondary to any health insurance you have. Submit your claim to your primary health insurance company first. When you receive an Explanation of Benefits Statement, send it along to us with our itemized bill and this completed form.
Payment will be made to the providers of service (Hospital, Physician or Others), unless a paid receipt statement accompanies the bill at the time the claim is submitted.

Girl Scout Insurance Plan Comparison Chart

PLAN 1 Accident Insurance Automatic coverage for registered members for a Girl Scout event which does not exceed a total of 3 days/2 nights. You do not need to order this insurance, since it is automatically applied to all Girl Scout members.
PLAN 2 Accident Insurance To cover participants who are NOT registered Girl Scouts and/or Girl Scouts participating in an event lasting MORE than 3 days, 2 nights.

Example: If your troop is planning a trip to Disneyland, California for 5 days and 4 nights, you will need to purchase insurance for all of the registered members for the full 5 days because the trip is longer than 3 days, 2 nights.
PLAN 3E Accident and Sickness Insurance This plan is recommended for trips out of state or for any other trip where sickness could occur, such as extended trips out of town.
PLAN 3P Accident and Sickness Insurance For groups with one or more participants who do not have personal family insurance (or where personal insurance may not be honored). Plan 3P acts as primary insurance for participants covered by the plan.
PLAN 3PI Accident and Sickness Insurance for International Trips For any Girl Scout group planning a trip out of the country. Due to certain pre-trip benefits, this insurance should be purchased in the planning stages of the trip, but after the trip has been approved by the council, Call the council office to obtain detailed information on how to purchase this plan.
INTERNATIONAL INBOUND Accident and Sickness Insurance for Girl Guides/Girl Scouts Visiting the USA Can be purchased by groups who are hosting Girl Guides/Girl Scouts visiting the USA. This insurance covers the visiting Girl Guides/Girl Scouts.